Authorities: 2 tornadoes, microburst struck NYC on 14-mile path during fast-moving storm

By Verena Dobnik, AP
Friday, September 17, 2010

Authorities: 2 tornadoes struck NYC during storm

NEW YORK — All over the city, witnesses compared stories of the destruction they saw — roofs peeled away, street signs uprooted, storefront windows blown out, thick tree trunks snapped in half, a parked van lifted a foot into the air.

So it came as no surprise when meteorologists determined late Friday that the storm that barreled across a large swath of Brooklyn and Queens a day earlier spawned two tornadoes and a fierce macroburst with wind speeds up to 125 mph.

What was surprising, meteorologists said, was that only one person died.

“It’s practically a miracle considering the population that was affected by this,” said Kyle Struckmann, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service.

The tornadoes were the ninth and 10th to hit New York City since 1950, according to the weather service.

One struck Brooklyn at 5:33 p.m. Thursday, with winds up to 80 mph, and carved its way northeast from the Park Slope section, Struckmann said. The second hit Queens at 5:42 p.m., with winds up to 100 mph, traveling 4 miles from the Flushing section to a mile north of Bayside.

It was that second twister that snapped trees and scattered them like bowling pins, downing power lines and crushing vehicles, including a car in Queens where a woman was killed, according to the National Weather Service. Aline Levakis was in the parked car with her husband, Billy Levakis. The Pennsylvania couple had just switched seats in the car, said a former business partner, Peter Markos. Billy Levakis survived.

The macroburst packed the biggest punch, said Brian Ciemnecki, another weather service meteorologist. Stretching 8 miles long and 5 miles wide, it started in the Middle Village section of Queens and ended in Forest Hills. A macroburst is an intense gust of wind that pours down from a storm.

“The large majority of damage was associated with the macroburst,” Ciemnecki said.

Officials initially had reported that a microburst hit the city but later corrected that to say it was a macroburst, because it was more than 2 1/2-miles long.

Strong winds caused damage on Staten Island, authorities said.

The storm was part of a line that rippled across much of the Northeast before completing its run in New York City during the evening rush hour in a matter of minutes. It caught nearly everyone off guard, including commuters heading home and parents picking up children from after-school activities.

“There are lots of stories of people who came very close to being hit by a big tree and killed, but fortunately there was only one,” Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Friday. “And that one was really tragic.”

Stunned residents sifted through the debris Friday, and utility crews worked to restore power in blacked-out neighborhoods. The number of customers without power peaked at 37,000, but that gradually improved Friday. About 14,000 customers, mostly in Queens, had no power late Friday.

Consolidated Edison said it expects to restore power to most customers by Saturday night, and all service by Sunday night.

On a badly hit Brooklyn block of 1890s brownstones in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood, the storm swept away parts of rooftops on at least six homes.

One four-story rowhouse was so waterlogged that walls were marked Friday with large black Xs — meaning they were to be torn down. In the yard behind, debris lay piled up, including parts of the roof, a crushed gazebo and a whole tree that landed there from two houses away.

“Just look at this,” said owner Babe Hatcher, standing in the backyard.

Pointing at the top floor, he said: “No one can sleep up there; there’s no ceiling. You can see the sky.”

Department of Buildings Commissioner Robert Limandri said the city had received more than 60 reports of buildings with possible structural damage. Officials had ordered residents out of some of the worst-hit homes in Brooklyn.

The city parks department said it was still assessing the tree damage and cautioned that cleanup would likely go on for days. The parks commissioner warned pedestrians to be careful walking under trees that might have broken branches.

The line of storms began its work in the west. At least seven tornadoes were confirmed in Ohio, where storms flipped mobile homes, injured several people and damaged part of an Ohio State University campus. A small tornado also touched down in southern New Jersey, knocking over trees and damaging two houses.

Associated Press Writers Cristian Salazar, Beth J. Harpaz, Ula Ilnytzky, David B. Caruso and Charles Sheehan contributed to this report.

will not be displayed