Taiwan raises death toll from Typhoon Megi to 36By DPA, IANS
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
TAIPEI - Taiwan Wednesday raised the number of people killed by Typhoon Megi to 36 after declaring dead 21 people missing since last month.
The 19 Chinese tourists and two Taiwan farmers were in two buses that were carried into a ravine by rockslides on a narrow mountain highway in the northeast of the island.
“After searching for two weeks and with the recovery of the body parts of a bus driver as well as one of the tourists, we believe they have fallen victim to the disaster and hereby declare them dead,” said Lin Che-hui, chief prosecutor of the Ilan Prosecutors Office.
Megi hit Taiwan Oct 21, causing rock and mudslides in the northeast as well as floods. Authorities have recovered remains of 15 victims.
A public funeral is to be held Thursday in Taipei for victims’ relatives, Taiwan authorities said.