Las Vegas woman, 20, San Diego-area men among dead in Calif. desert race crash that killed 8By Gillian Flaccus, AP
Sunday, August 15, 2010
6 men, 1 woman among dead in California race crash
LUCERNE VALLEY, Calif. — Authorities say the eight dead in a grisly crash at an off-road race in the California desert include three men from the San Diego area and a woman from Las Vegas.
The San Bernardino County coroner Sunday released the names of seven of the dead.
Brian Wolfin and Anthony Sanchez of Escondido died at the scene, and Aaron Farkas of Escondido died at a hospital.
The youngest of the dead was 20-year-old Danica Frantzich from Las Vegas. All seven were in their 20s.
The other dead are Andrew Therrin of Riverside, Zachary Freeman of Fillmore and Dustin Malson of Ventura.
The eighth victim died in Riverside County, and no name has been released.
All died after a truck plowed into the crowd at the California 200 race near Lucerne Valley.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.
LUCERNE VALLEY, Calif. (AP) — An off-road truck sailed off a jump and hurtled into a crowd at a race in the California desert, pinning bodies beneath it and sending others flying into a chaotic cloud of dust in a crash that killed eight people, authorities and witnesses said Sunday.
Twelve people were injured in the crash that came shortly after the twilight start of the California 200 Saturday night in the Mojave Desert, said San Bernardino County sheriff’s spokeswoman Cindy Bachman.
Witnesses said the driver took a jump known as “the rockpile” at high speed, hit his brakes on landing and rolled sideways into a crowd of hundreds of people standing with no barriers next to the course.
“He hit the rock and just lost control and tumbled,” said Matt March, 24, of Wildomar, who was standing next to the jump. “Bodies went everywhere.”
March said he and several other fans lifted the truck, which came to rest with its oversized wheels pointing toward the sky, and found four people lying unconscious underneath.
John Payne, 20, of Anaheim said he was among the first people to reach the truck. He said the victims included one person who was decapitated.
“It was complete chaos,” Payne said.
It took rescue vehicles and helicopters more than half an hour to reach the remote location, and spectators including off-duty police and firefighters helped the injured and placed blankets over the dead.
Six people died at the scene and two others died after being taken to a hospital, authorities said. Seven ambulances and 10 emergency aircraft responded, airlifting most of the 12 injured people from the area to hospitals.
Paramedics brought six people — five adults and a child — to Loma Linda University Medical Center, spokesman Herbert Atienza said Sunday. He had no information on their condition.
Officials said the driver, whose name has not been released, wasn’t hurt. It was not clear why he lost control of the truck. Phone and e-mail messages left for the organizer, South El Monte-based Mojave Desert racing, were not immediately returned.
The 200-mile race is part of a series held in the Mojave Desert’s Soggy Dry Lake Bed near the city of Lucerne Valley, 100 miles northeast of Los Angeles.
Tens of thousands of people attend the California 200, in which a variety of off-road vehicles take jumps and other obstacles and reach speeds of over 60 mph on the 50-mile off-road course. The race had been scheduled to last through the night.
The crowd, which included children, was standing within 10 feet of the track with no guard rails separating them from the speeding vehicles.
“There were no barriers at all,” Jeff Talbott, inland division chief for the California Highway Patrol, told the Riverside Press-Enterprise.
He said that the driver was forced to run from the scene when the crowd grew unruly and some began throwing rocks at him. Several witnesses said they didn’t see anyone throwing rocks at the driver.
Fans said there are rarely rails or any other safety guards at the races.
“That’s desert racing for you,” Payne said. “You’re at your own risk out here. You are in the middle off the desert. People were way too close and they should have known. You can’t really hold anyone at fault. It’s just a horrible, horrible accident.”
March said “that’s just how everyone plays it, everyone gets real close in these desert races.”
The CHP does not normally investigate crashes at organized events, but took the lead on this probe because of its scope and had set up a command center at the starting line of the race.
The federal Bureau of Land Management was assisting in the investigation.
The crash was the latest in a series of race accidents that have proved deadly to spectators.
A car plowed into a crowd that had gathered to watch an illegal drag race on a suburban road in Accokeek, Maryland, in February 2008, killing eight people and injuring five. The two racers were charged with vehicular manslaughter. Darren Bullock, 22, was sentenced to 15 years in prison; Tavon Taylor, 20, is awaiting trial.
In Chandler, Ariz., in February, a female spectator was killed by a tire that flew off a crashing dragster at Chandler’s Firebird International Raceway for the NHRA Arizona Nationals.
In Selmer, Tennessee, a dragster went out of control and smashed into spectators during a fundraising festival in June 2007, killing six people and injuring 22. Driver Troy Critchley, 38, was convicted of misdemeanor reckless assault charges and sentenced to 18 months probation.
Derek Laogali, 22, of San Pedro, said Saturday night was the first time he’d ever been to an off-road race, and he witnessed the horror up close.
“I seen people on the floor with broken bones, people with blankets over them. I’m guessing they were dead,” Laogali said. “People were crying and screaming. It was a nightmare.”
AP Radio correspondent Shirley Smith in Washington contributed to this report.
Tags: Accidents, California, Escondido, Las Vegas, Lucerne Valley, Nevada, North America, Riverside, San Diego, Transportation, United States