Five of a family die after drinking tea

Monday, January 24, 2011

BADAUN - Five members of a family, including four minors, died after drinking tea at their home in this Uttar Pradesh district Monday, police said.

Amar Singh, 45, and his four children - aged between 6 and 15 years - died allegedly after consuming tea at their house in Ujhani town.

“The condition of all the five deteriorated after they consumed the tea that was prepared at their house by Amars wife. She did not drink it and even warned her family members not to drink it as a foul smell emanated from it,” Deputy Superintendent of Police R.S. Kaul told reporters in Badaun, some 250 km from Lucknow.

“Not paying any heed to the warning, Amar Singh consumed the tea and also made his three daughters and a son drink the same. After consuming the tea, all the five started vomiting and were rushed to a hospital by neighbours,” he added.

While two children died on their way to hospital, Amar and the remaining two children died during treatment at a hospital.

“Prima-facie it appears there was something wrong in the tea. Whether its a case of normal food poisoning or some poison was externally added to the tea will only be confirmed by laboratory tests,” said Kaul.

will not be displayed