Four injured fighting blaze in Delhi’s Chandni ChowkBy IANS
Sunday, November 28, 2010
NEW DELHI - A major fire broke out Sunday at a warehouse in Delhi’s Chandni Chowk market, officials said. Three firemen and a policemen were injured while fighting the blaze, which was yet to be doused at 10 p.m.
“Two of our firemen have major injuries. They have been rushed to Lok Nayak Jai Prakash (LNJP)Hospital,” a fire brigade official said.
According to the official, the fire broke out at 5 p.m.
“It was a warehouse for plastic bags. Plastic catches fire easily and spreads quickly. It is thus taking time to contain the fire,” the official added.
The warehouse is on the ground floor of the four-storey building and the officials suspect a short-circuit could have caused the fire.
The fire department rushed 27 tenders on the spot.
“No resident has been injured. The power supply to the area was snapped while people residing in the adjoining buildings were evacuated as a precaution,” the official said.