Musharraf is now an accused in Benazir killingBy IANS
Monday, February 7, 2011
ISLAMABAD - Former president Pervez Musharraf’s name was Monday included in the list of accused in the Benazir Bhutto assassination case, a media report said.
Musharraf’s name was added to the list following a statement of former Rawalpindi city police chief Saud Aziz, the daily Dawn reported.
Aziz claimed that Musharraf had given the order to change Benazirs security in-charge. He also claimed that the murder scene was immediately washed on Musharrafs orders.
Bhutto was assassinated Dec 27, 2007, as she was leaving Liaquat Bagh in a motorcade after addressing an election rally in Rawalpindi, Islamabad’s twin city and Pakistan’s old capital in northern punjab.
A teenaged shooter was seen aiming for her head in the CCTV footage before a powerful suicide blast killed at least 24 people participating in the rally.
The interior ministry at that time accused the Taliban of plotting to kill Bhutto while the doctors said as she was standing in her vehicle “her head banged against the lever of the sunroof of her vehicle, which caused her death”.
Musharraf ruled Pakistan for nine years after taking power in a bloodless coup in 1999. He stepped down in 2008 and left Pakistan. He now lives in London.
In December last year, Pervez Musharraf was sent a questionnaire by the interior ministry regarding Bhutto’s assassination during his presidency.