Three die of gas leak in Uttar PradeshBy IANS
Saturday, January 29, 2011
HARDOI - Three people, including a woman, died and two others were hospitalised following a gas leak at a chemical factory here, an official said Saturday.
The gas leakage from Amit Hetro Chem factory in Sandila town is believed to have taken place early Saturday.
“All the three, who died following the gas leakage, were sleeping in a flour mill situated a few metres away from the factory,” Hardoi District Magistrate Awadhesh Kumar Singh Rathore told IANS.
“I have directed the officials to ensure whether other people in the factory’s vicinity have been affected by the gas leakage. Presently, there is information of only two people being hospitalised,” he added.
Officials are yet to ascertain the gas that leaked from the factory.
“We have been told that chemicals used in medicines were manufactured in the factory,” Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Santosh Kumar told IANS.
“We have detained a chemist of the factory in connection with the incident. He is being interrogated,” he added.