Cash van robbery: Photos of driver, gunman released

Saturday, January 29, 2011

NEW DELHI - Delhi Police Saturday released the photographs of the driver of a cash van and a gunman who fled with Rs.67.5 lakh a day earlier. The duo have a bounty of Rs.50,000 each on their head. The cash van was recovered in Faridabad Saturday.

“We have released the photographs of the two men, a senior police officer said.

The accused are identified as Ram Kumar, the driver, and Sanjeev, the gunman.

The duo fled with Rs.67.5 lakh which were to be deposited in ATM booths across the city. The incident happened in south Delhi’s Alakananda area Friday evening and the accused even managed to disable the Global Positioning System in the vehicle, police said.

They had also given fake addresses to their company. Ram had shown that he was living in Mahipalpur and Sanjeev in Kotla Mubarakpur.

Their permanent addresses, of Meerut and Etah, respectively, were also fake, the police officer added.

“The two worked with a security company by the name Scientific Security Management Pvt Ltd located in west Delhi’s Mansarovar Garden area,” a senior police officer said on Friday.

The two were employed here since November 2010.

The accused along with Rajesh and Suraj, the custodians, left Patel Nagar at 9.30 a.m.

“Investigations revealed that the accused loaded Rs.97.5 lakh from an HDFC bank branch into the cash van,” the police officer said.

Around 3.15 p.m., the accused reached the HDFC ATM in Alakananda market. Suraj and Rajesh left with some cash to load it into the booth and pulled down the shutter at the time of loading.

Meanwhile, Ram Kumar and Sanjeev went up to the guard at the booth and Sanjeev handed over his gun “to avoid any suspicion”.

The guard, in his statement to the police said: “The gunman handed me the gun and told me that they were planning to get some food till such time that the loading was on. I kept the gun and they left.”

However, when Rajesh and Suraj came out they saw the van was missing. When approached, the guard narrated the incident, and sensing something amiss since the van hadn’t returned for a long while, the two informed their company manager S.S. Ahluwalia.

The company tried to trace the van, but were unable to do so. They called the police at around 5.30 p.m.

Filed under: Accidents and Disasters

will not be displayed