Fire in wholesale grain market, no casualtiesBy IANS
Monday, February 28, 2011
LUCKNOW - Goods worth around Rs.50 lakh were gutted when a fire broke out in a wholesale grain market governed by the State Agriculture Produce and Marketing Board in Uttar Pradesh’s Mainpuri town, police said. There were no casualties.
The fire engulfed around 28 establishments of the Mainpuri Mandi Samiti in Kotwali Shehar area, following which six fire tenders were pressed into service.
“The fire was a massive one. We have managed to control the situation, but the flames are yet to be doused completely,” police inspector Shri Krishna told reporters in Mainpuri, some 200 km from Lucknow.
“A few workers trapped inside the wholesale market were rescued with the assistance of firefighters. The rescue operation is now over,” he added.
Though the exact financial loss was yet to be ascertained, Krishna said initial estimates put it at nearly Rs.50 lakh.
Preliminary investigations indicate it took place due an electric short circuit.